Overall Purpose of the Position:
The laboratory project manager has overall responsibility for the functioning of TASK mycobacteriology laboratory. The project manager plans, organises and oversees all testing and resulting for studies conducted at the lab. He / she serves as the liaison between sponsors and the laboratory, to ensure that work is conducted according to the sponsors’ needs, and in line with the laboratory’s capabilities.
Key Performance Areas (KPA’s) & Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Liaise, plan, organise and implement all testing according to the trial plan for each study conducted through TASK Laboratory
- Manage the activities of staff (train and develop) to ensure they have skills required to achieve their performance objectives
- Oversee asset management and procurement of goods to ensure the most effective utilization of resources, optimize stock levels, reduce costs and ensure availability of required stock at all times
- Generate management reports as required to monitor work and performance status of the laboratory and take corrective action when required
- Interpret and apply clinical trial protocols
- Ensure that good quality, timely results and data is consistently produced
- Provide microbiological expertise, and review and approve all laboratory standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Enable the laboratory to adhere to business standards, practices, procedures and protocol requirements
- Ensure that the quality management system for the lab is place and is being adhered to
- Communicate effectively to all relevant stakeholders, through e-mails, meetings and teleconferences
- Ensure that there are sufficient, appropriately trained staff and other resources in place to perform each trial
- Monitor trends, identifying significant project risks and deal with potential problems before they occur
- MSc or PhD in microbiology, or relevant clinical laboratory sciences qualification, with at least five years post-graduate work experience
- Experience and skills in project management
- Experience in a management role
- Knowledge of good clinical laboratory practice (GCLP) guidelines and regulations
- Advantageous: Experience working in a clinical trial setting
Key Personal Inherent Characteristics
- Leads by example in line with TASK’s culture
- Excellent planning and organising skills, with the ability to work systematically and sequentially
- Personal effectiveness and the ability to work in a pressurised environment, with strict adherence to timeline
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Competent in identifying obstacles or problems and implementing an appropriate action plan
- Ability and willingness to adapt working hours in response to the business needs which may change from time to time in response to operational requirements
- Entrepreneurial spirit with a willingness to drive expansion of the repertoire of tests offered at the laboratory
Applications Close: 16 August 2021
Location: Parow, Cape Town
Contract Type: Permanent
Please indicate in your application that you are applying for the above-mentioned position.
Please send applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have not heard from us within one month, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
TASK reserves the right to withdraw this advertisement and not fill the above-mentioned vacancy at any stage during the recruitment process.
Meeting our employment equity goals will be acknowledged during the recruitment process.